The holiday season is simply not the same without a creamy, nutmeg-spiced glass of eggnog. This Paleo version is just as tasty and creamy as traditional eggnog. The nutmeg and allspice nicely accent the feisty vanilla bean flavor. Add a shot of your favorite holiday spirit (spiced rum is a favorite of ours), and turn this liquid refresher into a warming Christmas cocktail!
• 5 egg yolks
• 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
• 11⁄2 tablespoons vanilla bean paste
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon plus more for garnish
• 1 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
• 1/4 teaspoon allspice
• 2 cups canned coconut milk
• 2 cups almond milk
• 2 whole cinnamon sticks
• Cinnamon, to taste
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix the egg yolks with a handheld mixer on medium speed (or whisk vigorously) until they lighten in color and become frothy. Slowly add in maple syrup, vanilla bean paste, and the spices (not including the cinnamon sticks) and whisk until well blended. Add in coconut milk and almond milk and stir.
2. Pour the mixture into a medium-large saucepan over low heat. Add in the cinnamon sticks and stir frequently. Heat the mixture extremely slowly, as the eggs will scramble if heated too quickly. Simmer until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon when dipped.
3. Remove the cinnamon sticks and place the mixture in a sealed container in the refrigerator to chill. Serve cold with a pinch of cinnamon on top.