This recipe utilizes a Paleo-friendly, sugar-free caramel sauce that pairs perfectly with curry and vanilla bean. It is a sweet and crunchy treat with a Middle Eastern twist! This is an easy, candy-like recipe that will be sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. Use it as a crunchy topping for the Compelling Coconut Concoction ice cream.
Yields about 2–21⁄2 cups brittle
• 11⁄2 cups raw organic honey
• 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 cup clarified butter
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
• 1 teaspoon curry powder
• 2 cups chopped cashews (roasted for richer flavor)
Pinch sea salt
1. In a medium sauce pot, heat the honey and maple syrup over medium-low heat until it reaches approximately 275°F with a candy thermometer. Next, stir in the baking soda, butter, vanilla bean paste, and curry powder. Whisk the ingredients until the butter is melted, and then turn the heat off (but keep the sauce pot over the warm stovetop). This mixture may bubble while heated, so be cautious to remove it from heat, stir, and place it back on the heat to prevent it from bubbling over.
2. Place the chopped cashews in a parchment paper-lined 9″ × 9″ pan. Pour the caramel-like mixture evenly over the nuts, top with sea salt, and place in the freezer to chill for a minimum of 30 minutes. Break it into chunks and preserve in the freezer until ready to serve, as the brittle becomes sticky if left at room temperature.