These crunchy chips are simply crazy good. They are sweet, salty, and spiced just right! They’re everything you’d want in a snack, all in one recipe. Consider doubling or tripling up on these amounts, because one batch won’t last! The sugary flavor from the sweet components—coconut sugar, cinnamon, and coconut chips—is extraordinary when paired with their sultry counterparts, the coriander, cardamom, and ginger. These Coconut Crisps are guaranteed to meet all your taste buds’ needs!
Yields 3 cups
• 1 cup coconut milk
• 1⁄4 cup coconut sugar
• 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
• 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
• 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
• 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
• 3 cups coconut chips (ribbon coconut), soaked in water for 1–2 hours
1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, adding the coconut chips last.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°F. Spread soaked chips in a thin layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 2 hours.
3. Remove the coconut chips from the oven and increase the heat to 400°F. Return chips to the oven, and cook for 10–20 minutes or until they are golden and crispy. Be careful not to burn. Allow to cool before serving.
SPOTLIGHT ON COCONUT SUGAR
Coconut sugar, also called coconut palm sugar, is derived from the sap of the coconut plant. Once obtained from the flowers of the coconut palm, the sap is placed under heat to allow the water to evaporate. The end product is coconut sugar. Although it contains nutrients like iron, zinc, calcium, and potassium, you’d have to consume quite a bit in order to acquire modest amounts of these minerals. In addition, coconut sugar is very high in calories, so as with regular sugar, use it sparingly!