with spicy roasted okra
YIELD: 4 to 6 servings | PREP TIME: 10 minutes | STOVETOP: 4 hours
• 2½ pounds oxtail
• 1¾ teaspoons salt, divided
• ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
• ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon avocado oil or light olive oil, divided
• 1 medium yellow onion, cut into small dice
• 2 celery ribs, cut into small dice
• 1 red bell pepper, cut into small dice
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 3 tablespoons arrowroot starch
• 2 teaspoons paprika
• 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• ¾ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
• ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
• ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 quart Chicken Broth
• ¾ pound smoked pulled pork shank or hock meat (from 1 smoked pork shank, about 2 pounds, or 2 smoked ham hocks)
• 12 ounces andouille sausage, sliced thin
• 1 bunch green onions, sliced (reserve the tops for garnish)
• 1 batch Spicy Roasted Okra, for serving
1. Season the oxtail with 1 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper.
2. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the oxtail and cook until browned on all sides, about 15 minutes. Remove to a plate.
3. Pour off the rendered fat from the oxtail and add the remaining ¼ cup of oil to the pot. Add the onion, celery, and bell pepper and sauté over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and starting to brown, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
4. Add the arrowroot starch and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. The mixture will start to get sticky, but don’t worry; adding the broth will fix that.
5. Add the spices, broth, and remaining ¾ teaspoon of salt, scraping up any browned bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan. Turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
6. Add the oxtail and pork shank and turn the heat down to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 3 hours, or until the oxtail is tender. Skim as much of the fat off the top as possible.
7. Add the sausage and green onions and bring the soup to a low boil. Cook for another 20 to 30 minutes, until the soup has thickened.
8. Garnish with green onion tops and serve with Spicy Roasted Okra.