(Portuguese potato soup)
YIELD: 4 to 6 servings | PREP TIME: 20 minutes | STOVETOP: 35 minutes
• 1 tablespoon avocado oil or lard
• 1 pound linguiça sausage, removed from casings and broken into small chunks (see Tip)
• 1 large red onion, cut into small dice
• 6 cloves garlic, minced
• 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
• 2 quarts Chicken Broth
• 1 bunch collards (about ¾ pound), stemmed and sliced very thinly
1. In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the sausage and cook until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage to a bowl and set aside.
2. Add the onion to the pot and cook until golden brown and softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the potatoes, broth, and half of the cooked sausage to the pot and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes are softened.
4. Puree half of the soup in a blender, then return it to the pot. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender to coarsely puree the soup right in the pot. Add the collards and cook for 10 minutes, or until they are softened.
5. Serve topped with the remaining linguiça.
Chef’s Tip: If you can’t find linguiça, you can substitute Spanish-style dry-cured chorizo.