YIELD: 4 to 6 servings | PREP TIME: 10 minutes | STOVETOP: 25 minutes
• 1 pound ground beef
• 3 celery ribs, cut into small dice
• 1 small onion, cut into small dice
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 3 cups Basic Beef Broth
• 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes or 1 pound fresh tomatoes
• 3 medium carrots, cut into small dice
• 1 pound Yukon Gold or russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
• ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
• ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• Minced fresh parsley or chives, for garnish (optional)
1. In a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, sauté the beef, celery, and onion, stirring occasionally to break up the meat, for 5 minutes, or until some of the fat has rendered.
2. Tilt the pot and scoop out most of the fat, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the pot. Add the garlic and tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add the broth, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, salt, oregano, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
4. Garnish the bowls of soup with parsley or chives, if desired.
Lower-Carb Modification: Use celery root instead of potatoes.