YIELD: 4 to 6 servings | PREP TIME: 15 minutes | STOVETOP: 10 minutes
FOR THE MEATBALLS:
• 1 large egg
• 2 tablespoons blanched almond flour
• 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
• 1 teaspoon minced fresh marjoram or oregano
• 1 clove garlic, grated or pressed
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ½ pound ground beef
• ½ pound ground pork
FOR THE SOUP:
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 small onion, minced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 head escarole, chopped (about 6 cups)
• 2 quarts Chicken Broth
• 2 large eggs
• 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
• Lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
• Red pepper flakes, for garnish (optional)
1. Make the meatballs: In a large bowl, mix together the egg, almond flour, parsley, marjoram, garlic, and salt. Add the beef and pork and mix with your hands until everything is well incorporated. Roll into small meatballs, about ¾ inch in diameter, and set aside.
2. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion and garlic. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until the onion is softened but not browned. Add the escarole and stir until it just starts to wilt. Turn up the heat, add the broth, and bring it to a low boil.
3. When the broth reaches a low boil, drop in the meatballs. Simmer until the meatballs are cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
4. While the meatballs are simmering, beat the eggs. Add the Parmesan to the eggs, if using.
5. When the meatballs are cooked, slowly pour the eggs into the soup, stirring as you pour.
6. Serve the soup with lemon wedges and garnished with red pepper flakes, if desired.