YIELD: 4 to 6 servings | PREP TIME: 10 minutes | STOVETOP: 20 minutes | SLOW COOKER: 8 to 10 hours
• 1 tablespoon light olive oil or avocado oil
• 1 medium head cabbage (about 2 pounds), chopped
• 1 large onion, diced
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes or 1 pound fresh tomatoes
• ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 2 quarts Basic Beef Broth
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the cabbage, onion, and salt. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the cabbage is wilted.
2. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for another minute, then add the tomatoes, vinegar, honey, paprika, cayenne pepper, and broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, or until the onion and cabbage are very tender.
3. Taste for seasoning. The soup should have a nice balance of sweet and sour with a little bit of a kick. Add more honey, vinegar, or cayenne pepper as desired.
Slow Cooker Instructions: Place all of the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, until the onion and cabbage are very tender. Proceed with Step 3.
Lower-Carb Modification: Omit the honey.