YIELD: 4 to 6 servings | PREP TIME: 20 minutes | STOVETOP: 20 minutes
• 2 tablespoons ghee or unsalted butter
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 cup chopped shallots (about 2 large)
• 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
• 1 pound button mushrooms, roughly chopped
• ½ pound cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
• ½ pound shiitake mushrooms, roughly chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, sliced
• 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon dry sherry, divided
• 6 cups Wild Mushroom Broth
• ¾ cup heavy cream or Cashew Cream
• ¼ to ½ teaspoon truffle salt (optional)
1. In a large pot, heat the ghee and olive oil over medium-high heat. When the ghee is hot, add the shallots and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until softened and just starting to brown. Stir in the arrowroot starch and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
2. Add the chopped mushrooms, garlic, thyme, and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms release their liquid. If the mixture starts to burn on the bottom of the pot, move on to Step 3.
3. Add ½ cup of the sherry, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until the liquid is mostly gone.
4. Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes. Puree the soup in batches in a blender and return it to the pot, or puree it right in the pot with an immersion blender. Stir in the cream and the remaining tablespoon of sherry.
5. Season to taste with salt, or use truffle salt if desired. Serve garnished with thyme leaves and truffle salt, if desired.
AIP Modification: Use avocado oil instead of ghee or butter and use coconut milk instead of heavy cream or cashew cream.
Nut-Free Modification: Use coconut milk or flax milk instead of heavy