- YIELD: 4 to 6 servings | PREP TIME: 5 minutes | STOVETOP: 20 minutes
1 tablespoon ghee or avocado oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes or 4 pounds fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups Chicken Broth or water
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish (garnish optional)
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Ground black pepper
01 In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat the ghee over medium heat. When the ghee is hot, add the onion slices, garlic, salt, and garlic powder. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are softened, about 8 minutes.
02 Add the tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
03 Add the basil and coconut milk, then puree the soup in batches in a blender or with an immersion blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish each bowl with a few basil leaves, if desired.