YIELD: 4 to 6 servings | PREP TIME: 10 minutes | STOVETOP: 15 minutes
- 3 tablespoons ghee or avocado oil
- 4 small leeks, white and light green parts only, cleaned and sliced crosswise
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 bunches asparagus (about 4 pounds), woody ends removed, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 quart Veggie-Herb Broth or Chicken Broth
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- Strips of lime zest, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the ghee in a large pot over medium heat.
- When the ghee is melted, add the leeks and salt and sweat for 5 minutes, or until the leeks begin to soften.
- Add the asparagus and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and cayenne pepper and cook until the asparagus is soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Season to taste with additional cayenne pepper and/or lime juice, if desired, and garnish with strips of lime zest, if using.
AIP Modification: Omit the cayenne pepper.