Lamb is a very sturdy meat so you can add heavy flavours to it without overpowering it, unlike fish or white meat. The maple syrup and soy sauce in this recipe go fantastically well with lamb, so make sure the meat is thoroughly coated with the marinade.
446 CALORIES | 23G FAT | 9G SATURATES | 8.5G CARBS | 6G SUGAR | 1.8G SALT | 48G PROTEIN | 3.5G FIBRE
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons coconut aminos
2 teaspoons tomato purée
1 tablespoon maple syrup
a few sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves picked
900g lean boneless lamb, cut into 2.5cm cubes
1 medium white onion, quartered
1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into 2.5cm cubes
12 button mushrooms
150g rocket leaves, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
2. Place the garlic, coconut aminos, tomato purée, maple syrup and thyme in a large bowl and mix together well. Add the lamb and toss in the marinade until thoroughly coated, then cover and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
3. Load each skewer with alternating cubes of lamb, onion, pepper and mushroom and then place on a foil-lined tray.
4. Place the skewers in the oven and cook for 16 minutes for rare or 20 minutes for medium–well-done. Alternatively, grill under a high heat, turning and browning all sides until cooked through but still a little pink in the middle.
5. Allow to rest for a minute or two, then serve with a small bowl of olives and a side of fresh rocket leaves.