This makes a great alternative roast as it’s packed full of flavour and is wonderfully simple to prepare.
754 CALORIES | 15G FAT | 5G SATURATES | 1G CARBS | 0.2G SUGAR | 1G SALT | 153G PROTEIN | 0.9G FIBRE
1 large (1.75kg) chicken
1 lemon, quartered
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
90ml light coconut milk
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
1½ teaspoons chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon garam masala
4 garlic cloves, crushed
for the salad
a handful of fresh coriander
a handful of fresh mint
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
2. Place the chicken in a roasting tin and place the lemon quarters inside the bird. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
3. Place all the remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix together well. Divide this spice mix in half and set one half aside.
4. Baste the chicken thoroughly all over with half the marinade and roast in the oven for 45 minutes, then remove the bird from the oven and baste all over again with the remaining marinade, and then roast for a further 45 minutes or until the thigh juices run clear when tested with a skewer.
5. Serve the chicken with a fresh green herb salad of rocket, coriander and mint.