Life at times calls for a little bite of something special. Chocolate Sweet Potato Truffles are made with nature’s goodness. Rich and decadent, they hit the spot when the sweet tooth calls. Freeze to enjoy one at a time or share with friends.
Makes 24 small truffles
1/3 cup of Okinawa sweet potato (purple) purée
15 pitted Medjool dates
1½ cups raw walnuts
½ cup of raw cacao
½ cup of raw, unsweetened, shredded coconut (optional)
- To make purée: Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place Okinawa sweet potato on baking sheet and bake for 1 hour or until easily pierced with a fork. Cool, scoop out flesh from skin. Discard skin. Purée flesh in food processor. (Mash can be made days ahead, refrigerated until ready to use.)
- Remove pits from dates, set aside. Chop ¼ cup walnuts, set aside.
- In a food processor, place remaining 1¼ cup of walnuts. Grind until fine. Add medjool dates and mashed sweet potato. Blend until walnuts and dates stick together. Add raw cacao. Blend until incorporated.
- Remove mixture from food processor. Fold in chopped walnuts until incorporated evenly. Take a teaspoon-size amount and roll gently between palms into a ball. Roll balls in coconut shavings.
- Place on a tray. Refrigerate until set, at least an hour. Enjoy immediately or freeze.