This is one of those recipes where if you have a bunch of fresh oregano, tomatoes, and peppers in the garden, it’s super easy. You can add just about any vegetables in this and it will be so tasty.
You’ll notice the recipe is written for a full 2 pounds of shrimp. You can absolutely scale this down to 1 pound, but I think you will want lots of leftovers.
2 pounds (900 g) medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
~ zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil + 1 additional tablespoon
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced into long strips
4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
~ splash of white wine
- Combine the shrimp in a large bowl with the lemon zest and juice, oregano, garlic, and olive oil.
- Allow to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the additional tablespoon of oil, and add the onion and peppers, cooking until onions are translucent.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add the shrimp mixture. Stir often and once shrimp have turned pink, add in the tomatoes and splash of white wine.
- Cook just enough to heat tomatoes through.
Variations—Are you allowing dairy into your life? If so, mix in some feta cheese. It’s super tasty with this combination. Don’t have oregano? Basil would be great in this recipe too!