Great for picnics and tailgating, chicken salad is a Southern staple. There are a thousand different ways to make this stuff. This recipe is a bit chunkier than most folks are used to. Serve on sliced cucumber or zucchini as an appetizer or spoon into romaine lettuce leaves and serve as a meal.
1½–2 pounds (1 kg) chicken breasts
1 cup (100 g) celery, finely chopped
1 small onion, minced
1 cup (175 g) seedless grapes, sliced
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 teaspoon ground mustard
½ teaspoon black pepper
1½ cups (375 mL) Paleo Mayonnaise ( recipe here)
½ cup (60 g) walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Coat casserole dish with butter or olive oil.
- Place chicken breasts in dish, sprinkle a pinch of black pepper/salt over the top and cook uncovered for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from oven and let cool.
- Mix all other in ingredients in large bowl.
- Once chicken has cooled, roughly chop and combine with all other ingredients.
Ingredients—Skinless chicken breasts are ideal for this recipe.
Variations—Boiling chicken also works but removes some flavor. You can also use leftover chicken in this recipe, which will spare you the cooking of the chicken step! Pressed for time and don’t have access to pastured chicken? Use some store-bought precooked chicken (rotisserie, baked, etc.)