MAKES: 1 pint | PREP TIME: 2 hours to overnight | COOK TIME: 10 minutes
1 cup (120 grams) raw, shelled pistachios, plus ⅓ cup (40 grams) roughly chopped raw, shelled pistachios
1 (14-ounce/415-ml) can full-fat coconut milk
⅓ cup (75 ml) organic honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract pinch of coarse sea salt
- Place the whole pistachios in a food processor and pulse just until they reach a fine, flour-like consistency (do not continue to process beyond this point or the nuts will turn into a paste).
- Combine the coconut milk, honey, vanilla, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat and whisk until everything is well incorporated. Whisk in the pistachio flour slowly. Once everything is well mixed, remove from the heat and let cool.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
- Place the cooled mixture in an ice cream maker and churn, following the manufacturer’s directions, until the desired consistency is reached. When the ice cream is almost done, add the chopped pistachios while the ice cream maker is still on and continue running just until the pistachios are mixed throughout the ice cream.
- Immediately scoop the ice cream out of the ice cream maker so it doesn’t freeze to the sides of the bowl. Serve immediately or store, covered, in the freezer for up to 3 weeks.
Note: No ice cream maker? Once the coconut milk and pistachio flour mixture is chilled, mix in the chopped pistachios. Transfer to a bowl or bread pan and stick it in the freezer for 2 hours. Once frozen, just remove it from the freezer 15 minutes before serving to allow it to soften to a scoopable consistency. Scoop and serve.