SERVES: 8 | PREP TIME: 1 hour 10 minutes | COOK TIME: 35 minutes
coconut oil, for greasing the baking dish
½ pound (225 grams) bacon, for garnish
For the sweet potato mash
3 to 4 medium sweet potatoes (1¼ pounds/560 grams)
¼ cup (60 ml) full-fat coconut milk
½ teaspoon dried sage
¼ teaspoon coarse sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the cauliflower mash
1 head cauliflower (about 1½ pounds/750 grams), cut into florets
¼ cup (60 ml) coconut milk
½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the ground beef mixture
2 pounds (910 grams) ground beef
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
8 ounces (225 grams) button mushrooms, diced
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9-by-13-inch (23-by-33-cm) baking dish.
- Place the bacon on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cooked through. Roughly chop the bacon. Set aside.
- Turn up the oven to 400°F (205°C). Poke holes in the sweet potatoes with a fork. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft and easily pierced with a knife. The time may range depending on the thickness of the sweet potatoes.
- While the potatoes are baking, steam the cauliflower. Once the cauliflower is fork-tender, place it in a food processor or blender and puree until it becomes soft and resembles mashed potatoes. Add the coconut milk, salt, and pepper and continue to blend until smooth. Remove from the blender and set aside. Clean out the food processor or blender for the sweet potato mash.
- When the sweet potatoes are soft, remove their skins and place the sweet potatoes in the clean food processor or blender. Blend until the sweet potatoes break down, then add the coconut milk, sage, salt, and pepper and puree until smooth. Set aside for later.
- Cook the ground beef in a large sauté pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon. Once the meat begins to brown, add the garlic, onion, and mushrooms. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper and continue to cook until the meat is cooked through, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Create the layers: Use a slotted spoon to remove half of the meat mixture from the excess liquid in the pan and place in the prepared baking dish in one layer. Then pour the cauliflower mash mixture on top of the meat and spread it out. Then, using the slotted spoon, add the other half of the meat on top of the cauliflower mash. Lastly, pour the sweet potato mash on top and spread it evenly.
- Turn the oven down to 350°F (175°C). Place the casserole in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until it begins to bubble. Then turn on the broiler to high and cook for 5 minutes to brown the top of the casserole. Let rest to thicken and garnish with the bacon before serving.