MAKES: 6 cinnamon rolls | PREP TIME: 15 to 20 minutes | COOK TIME: 17 to 20 minutes
2½ cups (240 grams) blanched almond flour, plus extra for the work surface
¼ cup (30 grams) coconut flour
¼ cup (30 grams) tapioca flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
pinch of fine-grain sea salt
3 large eggs, at room temperature
¼ cup (50 grams) coconut oil, melted
3 tablespoons organic honey, melted
For the filling
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
¼ cup (60 ml) + 1 tablespoon organic honey, melted
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
½ cup (60 grams) pecans, crushed or minced in a food processor
Coconut Butter (see here), melted, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, and salt and stir well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, and honey. Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl with almond flour mixture. Mix well and then use your hands to knead the dough in the bowl until it is smooth. It may seem sticky, but it will smooth out. Place the dough in the refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes to make it easier to work with.
- While the dough is in the refrigerator, make the filling: In a small mixing bowl, combine the coconut oil, honey, cinnamon, and pecans and mix well. Set the bowl in a warm water bath to keep the filling at a pourable consistency while you form and bake the rolls.
- Place a long piece of parchment paper (about 18 inches/46 cm) on the counter and sprinkle with a little almond flour. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place on the floured parchment paper. Sprinkle a little almond flour on top of the dough, place another piece of parchment paper on top of it, and gently roll the dough out to an even 10-by-15-inch (25-by-38-cm) rectangle. The dough should be about ¼ inch (6 mm) thick. Take a lot of time on this step as the dough is fragile.
- Trim the edges to make the dough a perfect rectangle and patch any torn spots. Remove the top piece of parchment paper and drizzle the filling all over the dough. Gently spread it around with your hands or a rubber spatula until all the dough is covered.
- Turn the parchment paper so that the short end of the dough is facing you. Starting with the short end closest to you, carefully use the parchment paper to start rolling the dough away from you into a tight roll. By using the paper, you eliminate uneven pressure from your hands, which will cause the dough to crack. If it cracks anyway, gently use your hands to mend it back together.
- Once rolled, use a bread knife to cut the log into 6 evenly sized slices. Shape them into circles and place them cut side down on the prepared baking sheet, 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, until they are nice and brown on the outside but still soft on the inside. Check them after 17 minutes.
- Carefully place the cinnamon rolls on a plate and drizzle warm coconut butter over the top. Enjoy.