2 pinches of saffron threads
Вј cup hot water
2 pounds littleneck clams, live in the shell
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
1 large red bell pepper, seeded, deribbed and diced
1 large green bell pepper, seeded, deribbed and diced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
3 cups Cauliflower Rice (see How to Make Cauliflower Rice)
One 14ВЅ-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
1ВЅ cups chicken stock
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 pound large shrimp (26-30 count), in the shell
ВЅ pound chorizo links, cut on the bias into ВЅ-inch slices
- In a small bowl, soak the saffron threads in
the hot water.
- Place the clams in a large bowl, cover them with fresh water and allow them to purge themselves of sand for 15 to 20 minutes, while you work on the paella.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a very large skillet or paella pan that is already hot. SautГ© the onions for 5В minutes, or until almost translucent. Stir in the red and green peppers and garlic and cook for 2 to 3В minutes more.
- Add the Cauliflower Rice, and combine well with the vegetables. Then add the saffron/water mixture, the tomatoes, chicken stock and paprika, stirring well. Allow this to simmer for 5 minutes to cook off some of the liquid.
- Remove the clams from the water when they are done soaking, and discard any clams that remain open when tapped with your fingers.
- Add the shrimp, chorizo and clams to the skillet or paella pan, and cook until the liquid has burned off and all the clams have opened. Discard any clams that donвЂ™t open.
VARIATIONS: You can use any protein you see fit in this dish. Should you not wish to use seafood, use any meats of your choosing. Of course, you can also add any vegetables youвЂ™d like to create your own variation on this paella.