We see this delicious dish served up with turkey and dressing all the time. Don’t reserve this dish for only Thanksgiving and Christmas, as it can make its way to the table year round. No need for all that brown sugar to hide the natural sweetness of the sweet potato. Sweet potatoes are easy to find and can sit on your kitchen counter for days until you are ready to rock. Just please, no marshmallows on top!
2 pounds (900 g) sweet potatoes
¼ cup (60 mL) coconut milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon lemon zest
~ salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup (50 g) chopped pecans
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into equal-sized cubes. Place all in large sauce or stock pot, cover with water, and boil until potatoes are very tender.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Drain potatoes and return to pot. Using a handheld mixer, blend in coconut milk.
- Add eggs, vanilla, oil (or butter), cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon zest.
- Place sweet potato mixture into 9” x 9” Pyrex pan, or oval baker.
- Sprinkle crushed pecans on top.
- Bake 20–30 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
Variation—If you don’t like the lemon zest, just leave it out. I think it happens to really brighten the flavors.
Hint—You can freeze this recipe with a protein and make a great portable meal.