This is a light and flaky Turkish appetizer of filo dough shaped into a triangle and stuffed with a mixture of melted cheese and onion. It is a good choice for entertaining because it can be made in advance and frozen.
2 medium onions, finely diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
ВЅ pound Monterey Jack cheese, cut into small cubes (about 2 cups)
6 tablespoons butter, melted
8 sheets filo dough (12 x 16 inches)
- In a medium skillet saut the onions in the olive oil until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a small bowl. Let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400В°F. Have the onions, cubed cheese, and melted butter in front of you. Place the 8 sheets of filo in front of you, cover them with a sheet of wax paper, then cover the wax paper with a damp towel to prevent the dough from drying out. Return any remaining filo to the refrigerator well wrapped.
- Remove 1 sheet of filo from the stack, cover the stack again, and with a pastry brush lightly brush the surface of the dough with melted butter. Place a second sheet of filo on top. Brush it lightly with butter, making sure to get the edges. (Always keep the remaining stack of filo covered.) Using the tip of a pointed knife cut the buttered sheets of filo into 3 even lengthwise strips.
- Place not more than 1 tablespoon each of the cubed cheese and sauted onion near the corner of 1 strip. Gently fold this corner to make a triangle, covering the filling, and continue to fold the triangle as you would a flag, that is, folding the triangle in half in such a way that the triangular shape is maintained.
- Lightly brush the top and bottom of the triangle with melted butter and place it on a baking sheet. Repeat this procedure with the 2 remaining strips.
- Repeat steps 3, 4, and 5 until the 8 sheets of filo have been used. You should have 12 triangles. May be prepared to this point up to 8 hours in advance, covered, and refrigerated.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden all over. (To freeze uncooked triangles, place them in the freezer uncovered on a platter. Once frozen, remove them from the platter, wrap them in plastic or foil, and return to freezer. Do not defrost before baking.)