SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH WALNUTS AND CRISPY ONIONS
This sweet potato casserole is a flavorful side dish. The crispy, savory onions are almost like Paleo onion rings, and they pair really well with the extra unexpected crunch of the walnuts and the sweetness of the potatoes. SERVES 4 TO 6
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 35 minutes
6 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 large onion
1 egg, whisked
½ cup tapioca flour
½ cup almond flour
2 tablespoons grass-fed butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 (13.5-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large saucepan, boil the sweet potatoes in enough water to cover them for 15 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain well, and set aside.
- While the potatoes are boiling, spiralize or slice the onion, and dip it into a small bowl containing the whisked egg. Put the tapioca flour in one dish and the almond flour in another, and batter the onion by removing it piece by piece from the egg bowl, dipping each piece first into the tapioca flour and then into the almond flour. (If you’re short on time, you can put the onion and both flours in a large zip-top bag and shake it.) Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Sauté the garlic for 2 to 3 minutes before adding the sweet potatoes. Mash the potatoes (they don’t have to be perfectly smooth) with a spoon or handheld mixer, and add the coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the potatoes to an 8-by-12-inch baking dish, and top with the walnuts and onions. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, just until warmed through and the onions are crispy, and serve.
VARIATION 1 SAUSAGE–SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE: Cook 1 pound spicy Italian sausage in a sauté pan until browned, about 10 minutes. Add to the bottom of the baking dish as a first layer. Continue with the recipe as written.
VARIATION 2 DESSERT SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE: Skip the onions, garlic, salt, and pepper, and season the mashed sweet potato with ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon and ¼ cup maple syrup or honey when you add the coconut milk. Top with the walnuts as in the original recipe, and garnish with a handful unsweetened coconut flakes.
PREP TIP: Make this casserole ahead of time, and bake before serving in a 350°F oven for 20 to 30 minutes.